Open Call Brno AIR 2020 for artist or theoretician in the field of new media in the Center of New Media Art Vašulka Kitchen, The Brno House of Arts, Czech Republic
Brno Artists in Residence and Vašulka Kitchen Brno is happy to announce an Open Call for artist or theoretician in the field of new media art of any nationality for residency stay in June 2020 in The Brno House of Arts, Czech Republic.
The Brno Artists in Residence is the project of The Brno House of Art. Since 2016 the residency program has become one of the key constituents of the Brno House of Arts concept. The third floor of the House of the Lords of Kunštát, refurbished so that to accommodate the residency program, offers facilities for the stay and work of artists in three studios.
Vašulka Kitchen Brno (VKB) is a new established place for research, artistic experiment and informal education in the field of new media art. It consists of the archive of Woody and Steina Vašulkas’ work and a permanent exhibition of their selected works. We organize events aimed at commemorating and developing the artistic and philosophical legacy of the Vašulkas, pioneers in new media art with personal ties to Brno, and we support new media art production.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT BRNO ARTISTS IN RESIDENCE
The resident will be presented with facilities of the Center of New Media Art with access to the digital archive of the founders of video art and new media art Steina and Woody Vašulka, moreover to the reference library, and the exhibition of works of Woody Vašulka with the opportunity to present the resident´s work to professional and public audiences. The Vašulka Kitchen Brno residency program serves to strengthen the legacy and work with the making of the founders of video production of the Vašulka´s spouses, concerning current approaches and discourse. We offer a platform for the exchange and development of discussions on the historical and contemporary form of the new media art, which constitutes an essential part of the current intermedia art scene. The Brno House of Arts and Vašulka Kitchen Brno support live communication and realization of various projects of contemporary artistic approaches in their plurality and openness.
The resident will be selected in an Open call through a committee made up of members of the Vašulka Kitchen Brno association and the Brno House of Arts. The resident should be an active artist or theoretician in the field of new media art, who genuinely develops the creation of the given media and thus benefits the artistic and professional community as well as the general public. As part of the one-month stay, we expect a presentation of the resident in the form of a lecture, discussion, or a small exhibition at the Vašulka Kitchen Brno premises. The communication languages are English and Czech.
Date of the residence
1st – 31st June 2020
The Brno House of Arts provides
– artistic stipendium: 10 000 CZK in gross + per diem 300 CZK;
– accommodation and studio at House of the Lords of Kunštát, Dominikánská 9, 602 00 Brno, Czech Republic;
– available technical equipment and workshops.
– to stay in Brno at least 75% of time;
– participate on program organize by The Brno House of Arts for its residents;
– communication languages are English and Czech.
The artist undertakes to elaborate a final report with photographic documentation from the course of the residency.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications have to include the following documents (in PDF only).
– letter of intent explaining why do you apply, what you expect and what you would like to focus on during the residence (max. 3 000 characters);
– brief informative curriculum vitae, including contact information (max. 1 page);
– portfolio (max. 10 MB).
Videos/films – we recommend to provide links to your own website, Vimeo page, youtube page, etc. Please do not send video files.
- Accepted candidates are required to use the residence in its full length during the following fixed periods.
- Applications are accepted only in English and by e-mail until:
17th November 2019
- Please send your application with subject "VKB Open Call 2020" to: email@example.com
- Results of the Open Call will be announced till 15th December 2019 at The Brno House of Arts websites:dum-umeni.cz, vasulkakitchen.org and at Facebook page of the Residences and Vašulka Kitchen Brno
- Candidates will be contacted about the results neither by phone nor email.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Brno House of Arts and Vašulka Kitchen Brno is a contributory organisation funded by the Statutory City of Brno.
The artist´s residency is financially supported by the Czech Ministry of Culture.